Friday, May 21, 2010

"It's Me! Mario.."

Sugar. Sugar. Sugar. I love knowing that there is five pounds of sugar in one recipe for frosting. Or at least that is the way it seemed when Susan and I spent several hours over two days to create the perfect vegan/Mario Bros themed/coconut-lime & Oreo cookie cupcakes for Brandon's birthday.

Last week was the big day and so me, trying to be the perfect little homemaker, wanted to make some of his favorite flavored cupcakes for a surprise party I was throwing him. When we had our short stint in LA we fell in love with Auntie Em's Coconut Cupcakes, so I was on a mission to create something similar. I was not sure how I was going to pull this off since I have never made coconut cupcakes nor have I ever thrown a surprise party...so who knew how it'd turn out.

Luckily he has some pretty awesome friends who all went along with my plan and showed to the little get together . With four dozen cupcakes in tow we all met at Dave and Busters to eat, drink, and play.














From Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, I made two dozen cupcakes of the Coconut Lime and then two dozen of the Oreo Chocolate Cake Cupcakes. All with little Mario toppers that I cut out. Both batches turned out really nice. I was most impressed. However, the coconut ones were by far the best. They needed to be refrigerated since there was lime juice in the frosting, so by the end of the night they were looking a little sad...But if you are looking to make some refreshing sumer time desserts, definitely opt for the Coconut Lime cupcakes!

1 comment:

  1. Those are gorgeous little masterpieces -- obviously made with love!

    ReplyDelete