Sunday, December 5, 2010

"Is there sugar in syrup?"


Oh sweet snowflakes that cover the ground, how I love thee...it is that time of year again, time to hop into the kitchen and whip out more vegan treats while watching Elf. I don't know how many times I have seen it, but it just gets better every year some how...
So tomorrow the whole store is heading down to the glorious hills of North Carolina to check out some cool furniture and get our inspiration on. For the ride to the airport, I was asked if I would make cupcakes. Always eager to oblige, I said yes and then, wait, what kind of cupcakes would I make that are befitting for a breakfast meal and accompanying a nice OJ beverage? Well, I knew I wouldn't be let down if I checked out to see if Bake and Destroy had anything that I could sink my teeth into. Banana Bread French Toast Cupcakes. Um, hell yeah.
After work I headed back home, ate a tempeh sandwich (thank you Mellow Mushroom) and began the process.



For the cakey goodness:
  • 1/2 cup mashed over ripe banana
  • 1 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 2/3 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, cooled & chopped



Sift all the dry goods together, and then the liquids and combine...slowly fold in those toasted nuts and bake em! Pour each cupcake liner about 2/3 full, and if you're feeling uber fancy check out Fancy Flours amazing liners. I am a fan of the reindeer. Now, over at 350* for about 20-22 minutes and finally top those suckers off with a good serving of maple frosting and enjoy with that sweet mimosa!




No comments:

Post a Comment