Saturday, March 24, 2012

Indian Vegetable Somosa

Holas again! Every time it gets slightly cold out, I am always so eager  to make some kind of warm casserole, hearty dish. Then I will  just envision some snow outside and a wall of books beside me and I’ll be oh so comfortable. But alas, no snow, the closest I will get is some soot from a building being on fire near by. Anyhoo..I found this recipe from an old Vegetarian magazine and I knew I had to make it! It was so easy, but it seemed super fancy when I was making it and especially when I was eating it.

don't judge my crust, I was impatient


Indian Vegetable Somosa

Crust:
½ c. all-purpose flour
½ c. whole wheat pastry flour
¼ tsp. salt
2tbs. vegetable oil

Filling:
1 tbs. yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. ground ginger
½ tsp. ground cumin
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
5 medium potatoes, peeled and quarted
1 ½ tsp. vegetable oil
1 medium onion diced
1 medium carrot diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
2 tsp. agave nectar
2 tbs. soymilk

Directions:
To make this guilt free crust, preheat the oven to 375*F, whisk the flours and salt in a bowl. Stir in the oil until clumps form. Add 6 to 10 tbs. cold water, 1 tbs at a time, until the dough starts to hold together.
Shape into a ball, cover with a damp towel and set aside.

For the filling:
Stir together mustard seeds, curry, ginger, cumin and red pepper flakes in a bowl and set aside.

Cook potatoes in boiling salted water 15 minutes or until tender. Drain return to pot and mash, leaving small chinks.

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, carrot, and garlic and sauté 5 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
Move onion mixture into potato mixture in center.
Toast 30 seconds. Stir in peas and broth.
Fold onion mixture into potato mixture, stir in agave nectar. Season with salt and pepper.
Spread filling in a 9-inch pie pan. Set aside.

Roll out crust dough to 11 inch circle on floured work surface.
Cover filling with dough, pressing down to make sure no air pockets remain. Trim away excess dough, and crimp edges with fingers. Cut X in center to vent steam; brush with soymilk just before baking. Place pie on baking sheet and bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment